Full Stack Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
We’re looking for an exceptional full-stack engineer who will make a real impact on the web application at the core of our business.
ClickMechanic is a marketplace for mechanics that is bringing trust and transparency to car repair. The platform enables customers to acquire real-time industry standard quotes (a first in Europe) and quickly book a vetted mechanic online.
Founded in 2012 by EF alumni Andrew Jervis and Felix Kenton, the company has grown quickly to offer nationwide coverage and is backed on its mission by such institutional investors as 500 Startups, and Forward Partners as well as angel investors including the former CEO of JustEat and Chairman of Treatwell.
We’re looking to hire a full-stack engineer to join our small engineering team (currently one engineer plus our CTO Founder), who will provide a significant boost to our ability to innovate, deploy new features, and improve existing ones. You’ll get to work across all aspects of technology stack, including our Ruby on Rails web application, online quoting engine and mechanic app.
Technology underpins our entire business, and we’re constantly working to improve our core product and add new features. You’ll have the opportunity to work on projects such as improving our quoting engine using machine learning, developing integrations from new parts suppliers, or building a new mobile app using React Native.
This is a full-time, on-site role.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Developing new features and updating existing ones, sometimes working closely alongside our CTO Founder and working with full autonomy at other times.
- Building cutting-edge technology that will disrupt an entire industry, to the benefit of drivers all over the country (and hopefully further afield!).
- Working on any and all parts of our web application and mechanic app.
- Helping to overcome any roadblocks to planned development in collaboration with the product owner.
- Engineering solutions to any issues we face as our business scales, applying new technologies and approaches as appropriate.
We’ve built an online quoting engine that can generate quotes for all kinds of car repairs, servicing and inspections, drawing automotive data from numerous sources and transforming it to be accessible to consumers. It’s already the best automotive quoting system in Europe, however there’s still a lot left to do to fulfil our mission of bringing trust and transparency to all drivers.
You’re our ideal candidate if you:
- Have previously created applications using Ruby on Rails (or have experience of similar web frameworks that will enable you to hit the ground running).
- Love implementing features from start to finish, following them through all the way to deployment.
- Are comfortable working with SQL, preferably PostgreSQL.
- Have experience of full stack web development using the MVC pattern (or similar).
- Love Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Feel a deep satisfaction when you see a neat, coherent git history.
- Aren’t afraid of getting stuck in and working across the complete technology stack.
- Enjoy problem solving and engineering solutions that will make drivers’ lives easier.
- You’ll be able to influence decisions on new technologies and methodologies as an important part of a close engineering team at a fast-growing startup.
- Your work will help bring trust and transparency to an industry which is widely recognised for high levels customer dissatisfaction.
- Being part of an early-stage company where you can make a real impact on its brand and culture.
- Learning more about how a car works.